The Manila Ocean Park
is an oceanarium
. It is owned by China Oceanis Philippines Inc., a subsidiary of China Oceanis Inc., a Singaporean
-registered firm that has operated four oceanariums in China
. It is located behind the Quirino Grandstand
at Rizal Park
. It opened on March 1, 2008. In terms of floor space, the oceanarium is larger than the Sentosa Underwater World
oceanarium in Singapore
, and features a underwater acrylic tunnel.
Although the park is open, there was a construction and development.First Phase
– Oceanarium had its soft opening date on March 1, 2008.Second Phase
– includes the marine-themed mall and the hotel, theme park, outdoor pools, restaurants which opened in mid to late 2008. The four-star Hotel H20 Manila opened its doors in 2009.Third Phase
– the open marine habitats which were opened in the second quarter of 2009.
General Sections of the Manila Ocean Park
Oceanarium:Sections of MOP Oceanarium
- Agos (Flow) – a rainforest motif complete with 8 tanks of freshwater fishes.
- Bahura (The Reef) – exhibition of artificial corals in 48 tanks.
- Laot (Fishing Ground) – features big fish and Eagle-spotted rays in a long tank.
- Buhay na Karagatan (Living Ocean) – the main attraction of the oceanarium is a 25-metre long walkway tunnel with 220-degree curved acrylic walls similarly seen in Ocean Park Hong Kong, Underwater World in Singapore, Siam Ocean World in Bangkok, Thailand......