was a steam locomotive
manufacturer based in Hunslet
, West Yorkshire
The city of Leeds was one of the earliest centres of locomotive building; Matthew Murray
built the first commercially successful steam locomotive
, in Holbeck
, Leeds, in 1812. By 1856, a number of manufacturers had sprung up in the city, perhaps the most notable being the firm of E. B. Wilson and Company
in Pearson Street, Hunslet.
E.B.Wilson and Company
foundered in 1858. The company’s designs were purchased by Manning Wardle & Company, who located their Boyne Engine Works (established in 1840) in Jack Lane in the Hunslet district of the city. Within the next few years, two other companies, the Hunslet Engine Company
and Hudswell, Clarke & Company
also opened premises in Jack Lane. There was a good deal of staff movement between the three firms, leading to similar designs leaving all three works. Whilst Hudswell Clarke and Hunslet Engine Company built a wide variety of locomotive types, Manning Wardle concentrated on specialised locomotives for contractor’s use, building up a range of locomotives suitable for all types of contracting work.
Many Manning Wardle locomotives – of standard gauge
and various narrow gauge
– were exported to Europe, Africa, the Middle East (e.g.
the Palestine Railways
Class M), the Indian sub-continent, Australasia (e.g. NZR Wh class
) and South America.
Decline and closure...