Marine Corps Air Station Ewa
(MCAS Ewa) was a United States Marine Corps
air station that was located west of Pearl Harbor
on the island of Oahu, Hawaii
. The base was hit during the attack on Pearl Harbor
and later served as the hub for all Marine aviation units heading into combat in the Pacific Theater
during World War II
. The base was closed in 1952 because its runways were too short for the jet aircraft and expansion was impossible due to the proximity of Naval Air Station Barbers Point
. Ewa has been abandoned since 1952 however two of its runways are still visible from the air and many of the revetments
still remain in good condition.
Originally founded as an airship
base for the United States Navy
in 1925, The airship program was cancelled after 3 of the 4 dirigibles located there crashed during the 1930s. The bases’ upgrade to air station began in September 1940 and on February 3, 1941 it was commissioned Marine Corps Air Station Ewa.
By the onset of World War II, the air station had four runways and numerous hangars. On December 7, 1941, MCAS Ewa was the first installation hit during the attack on Pearl Harbor
. All forty eight aircraft based there were destroyed.
In April 1944, the 3rd Marine Aircraft Wing
was relocated to MCAS Ewa where they stayed for the remainder of the war.<ref name="MCAS El... Read More