Marshall Field & Company
(Marshall Field's) was a department store
in Chicago, Illinois
that grew to become a major chain before being acquired by Macy's Inc.
on August 30, 2005.
The former flagship Marshall Field and Company Building
location on State Street
in The Loop
of downtown Chicago was officially renamed Macy's on State Street
on September 9, 2006, and is now one of four national Macy's flagship stores
— one of two within the company's Macy's East
retail division alongside its New York store at Herald Square. Initially, the State Street store was the lead store of the Macy's North division, immediately following the merger.
Marshall Field & Company traces its antecedents to a dry goods store opened at 137 Lake Street in Chicago in 1852 by Potter Palmer
, eponymously named P. Palmer & Co.
. Four years later, in 1856, 21-year-old Marshall Field
moved to Chicago
from Pittsfield, Massachusetts
, finding work at the city's then largest dry goods firm, Cooley, Wadsworth & Co. Just prior to the Civil War, in 1860, Field and bookkeeper Levi Leiter
became junior partners in the firm, then known as Cooley, Farwell & Co. In 1864 the firm, then led by senior partner John V. Farwell
, was renamed Farwell, Field & Co. only for Field and Leiter to soon withdraw from the partnership when presented with the... Read More