The Maryhill Museum of Art
is a small museum with an eclectic collection, located near Maryhill
in the U.S. state
The structure was built as a mansion by entrepreneur Samuel Hill
. The museum is on a bluff overlooking the Columbia River Gorge
Notable among its collection are:
As of spring 2007, the museum is showing a temporary exhibit on the construction of The Dalles Dam
and the consequent destruction of Celilo Falls
Sam Hill's Maryhill mansion was designed by the firm of Marshall and Hornblower, and constructed with concrete and steel construction in 1914. At the urging of Queen Marie
, Hill ultimately turned the mansion into the Maryhill Museum of Art, but this was not completed until nine years after his death.
It was another friend of Hill's (and a mutual friend of Fuller and Queen Marie), Alma de Bretteville Spreckels
, who provided significant funding and helped oversee the final phase of the museum's construction, which opened on Hill's birthday, May 13, 1940.
The Maryhill Stonehenge
is also part of the Maryhill Museum of Art.