is an English urban public park
located in Charlton
in the London Borough of Greenwich
. It is situated on the A206
south of the Thames Barrier
. There is access from Woolwich Road, Charlton Lane and Thorntree Road.
Charlton sandpits, which were originally part of an area known as Hanging Wood
, were presented to the London County Council
in 1891 by the Maryon-Wilson family
, and one of the pits became Maryon Park.
The park was originally wooded and, together with what is now Maryon Wilson Park, was known as Hanging Woods. This was a wild wooded area and formed an ideal retreat for highwaymen
who robbed travellers on Shooters Hill
. Those who were caught were hanged here – hence the name.
The park contains grassland, with hawkweed
Attractions and facilities
The park includes Cox's Mount
, which was used by the Romans
as a hill fort
, which was discovered in 1915. In the 1850s, Cox's Mount was used to help ships on the nearby River Thames
adjust their compasses.
The park has hard tennis
courts, a basketball
court and a children's play area. The Capital Ring
walk and the Green Chain Walk
both pass through the park.
Next to the park is Gilbert's Pit
, a Site of Special Scientific Interest
, and to the south is the similarly named Maryon Wilson Park
In popular culture
Although it was not identified by name, the park was the filming location of key scenes in Blowup
(1966), a drama