Maryville Treatment Center
is a Missouri Department of Corrections
minimum security prison for male inmates on the grounds of the former Mount Alverno motherhouse of the Sisters of St. Francis of Maryville
in Maryville, Missouri
The facility is a (custody level 2) facility with a designed capacity to house 561 offenders.
The center is designed to provide a six-month treatment program for 225 the Offenders Under Treatment (OUT) Program and the Board Substance Abuse Program (BDSAP). It also has capacity for 336 offenders pre-release offenders.
The Franciscan motherhouse was built in 1947 and its distinctive yellow steeple on the bluff above the One Hundred and Two River
is a distinctive landmark. The Sisters founded and operated Maryville's St. Francis Hospital. In 1963 they opened the Mount Alverno High School for Girls next to the motherhouse. The school closed in 1971. In 1985 the order abandoned the motherhouse and school when they merged with Sisters of St. Mary
to form the Franciscan Sisters of Mary
with the headquarters in St. Louis, Missouri
In June 1995 Missouri purchased the and the prison began operations on December 3, 1996.
This prison was opened much to the dismay of many Maryville residents, although it does provide many jobs to people in the community and surrounding area.
Although the building is normally of interest to those who come to Maryville, it is not advisable to stop on the highway near the building, for security reasons.