The Masaryk circuit
() or Masarykring, now referred to as the Brno Circuit
, refers two Czech
racing circuits located close to the city of Brno
.The original circuit was made up of public roads, and at its longest measured nearly 19 miles (31 km). In the 1930s, events such as the Masaryk Grand Prix
attracted top teams and drivers.
Racing on the roads ended after 1986, when the current permanent circuit was opened within the bounds of the original roads. The annual MotoGP Grand Prix of the Czech Republic
is the circuit’s most important event. The World Touring Car Championship
, Formula Two
, FIA GT1
and Superbike World Championship
also race at the circuit.
The track is named after the first president of Czechoslovakia
, Tomáš Masaryk
The original layout ran anti-clockwise on approximately 31 km (19 miles) of public roads west of Brno, including the villages of Bosonohy
. From 1930 to 1937, the Masaryk Grand Prix
attracted some of the top drivers and teams.
The renamed Czechoslovakian Grand Prix in 1949 was run clockwise on a shorter 17.8 km (11.06 mile) layout around Kohoutovice
. In spite of a crowd in excess of 400,000 people, this would be the last Grand Prix for cars on the old circuit.
Beginning in 1950, the circuit played host to the Czechoslovakian motorcycle Grand Prix
, which became a world championship event from 1965 to 1982. The European Touring Car
series visited in the 1980s, by which time the circuit had been reduced to 13.94 km... Read More