The Max Planck Institute of Limnology concerned the study of inland waters like lakes, ponds and rivers. It is located in Plön, Schleswig-Holstein, Germany. It was founded as Hydrobiologische Station zu Plön in 1892, and was renamed 1966. It is one of 80 institute in the Max Planck Society (Max Planck Gesellschaft).
It was again renamed to Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Biology in 2007, along with a change of the research focus towards evolutionary biology.