is a village
located in the southwestern corner of York County
, New Brunswick
. The village covers and has a population of 1,404 as of 2006.
The area was first settled
in the mid-to-late 19th century as a group of small lumber
camps. The area further developed due to its advantageous location as an important railway junction
between the main line of the Canadian Pacific Railway
from the Maritime provinces to New England and central Canada and branch lines to St. Stephen
, St. Andrews
. The town was an important servicing stop for many passenger and freight trains, as well as military trains during the World Wars
. A large railway station was built to accommodate travelers and a roundhouse and yard were located in the village. The conversion of locomotives from steam power to diesel during the 1950s, as well as highway improvements and increased trucking during the 1960s and 1970s, saw McAdam decline in importance for rail transport. Decreased employment with the railway caused significant economic challenges for the community during the latter half of the 20th century and early 21st century.
Original settlement of present-day McAdam area began sometime between 1857 and 1869, after the establishment of the St. Andrews and Quebec Railway
(SA&Q). McAdam began under the name of City Camp which was originally a... Read More