McAllen High School
is one of three high schools
serving the McAllen, Texas
area as a part of the McAllen Independent School District
. It houses over 2200 students from grades 9-12. The school originally opened in 1909 and moved to its current location at 2021 La Vista Avenue in 1963. The school colors are purple and gold and the mascot is a bulldog. All athletic teams compete in the UIL
McAllen High School began with a class of only 14 students in 1909, its first graduating class, consisting of only 4 students, received their diplomas in 1913. The first graduates were Hazel Archer, Gladys Hall, Francis Buck and Winnie Harding. Since then, McAllen High School has been a Valley leader in academic, athletic, and UIL activities. As the first high school, McHi has achieved and maintained its reputation as the "Flagship School" of the McAllen Independent School District. With the expansion of the City of McAllen, and the growth of student population, it became necessary to construct a new campus. As a result, McAllen High School was relocated to its present location in 1963.
Built to accommodate 2,000 students in grades 9 through 12, the new high school was occupied by 2,400 students in the fall of 1963. The new property was purchased with the vision for expansion on a tract. Thus, McAllen High School evolved from an old air style, over-crowded school building to a modern air conditioned building supported by its own natural gas turbine... Read More