is a park in south-eastern San Francisco
. McLaren Park is the second largest park in San Francisco after Golden Gate Park
. The park is surrounded mostly by the Excelsior
, Visitacion Valley
and University Mound neighborhoods.
McLaren Park was once a part of Rancho Cañada de Guadalupe la Visitación y Rodeo_Viejo
. When California was part of Mexico, its then governor Juan Bautista Alvarado
granted what is now known as McLaren Park to the local authorities in 1840.
In 1905, subdivisions of the land grant were drawn up and Daniel Burham
recommended that the land where McLaren Park is today be a park. The land was purchased anyway by the Board of Supervisors in 1928 despite the bond measure being defeated. In 1934, John McLaren
organized a dedication flag ceremony in the park, which had its name, and it is currently the second-largest park in the city.
Coffman Pool was McLaren Park's first recreation facility constructed near Herz Playground, also in McLaren Park in 1958.A master plan for the park was published in 1959 which called for the creation of more recreational facilities. Construction of the facilities included in the Master Plan: The Gleneagles Golf Course, McNab Lake, Louis Sutter, Herz, and Mansfield-Burrows Playground, the Wilde Overlook, and the amphitheater (later to be renamed the Jerry Garcia Amphitheater), began in the 1960s, and also included new trails, picnic and parking areas, community gardens,... Read More