One steam locomotive built for the Melbourne and Essendon Railway Company in 1862 was sold unused to New Zealand's Canterbury Provincial Railways. Upon arrival in New Zealand, it became the country's first locomotive to operate in revenue service. Withdrawn in 1876, its frame subsequently returned to Australia when it was purchased by the South Australian Railways and was used as part of the SAR's locomotive No. 54, which operated until 1904.T. A. McGavin, Steam Locomotives of New Zealand, Part One: 1863 to 1900 (Wellington: New Zealand Railway and Locomotive Society, 1987), 9.