The Melbourne Magistrates' Court
is a venue of the Magistrates' Court of Victoria. It is a court
in Melbourne, Australia
that deals with a range of criminal offences, money claims and disputes up to $100,000 and family violence and family law proceedings. It is the largest venue of the Magistrates' Court of Victoria.
Though the current court inception is established by the Magistrates' Court Act 1989 (Parliament of Victoria
). There has been a magistrate in Victoria essentially since 1836, when the people of Melbourne elected an Arbitrator of the city to resolve minor disputes.
A Police Magistrate, Captain Lonsdale
was appointed also in 1836 and the first case was heard at a location near the present site of Southern Cross (Spencer Street) Station.
In 1838 a third court, the Court of Petty Sessions was created. And all three types of Courts by 1890 were held at 235 locations throughout Victoria.
On 20 January 1914, the new City Court at Russell St. was opened in Melbourne, and Phillip Blashki
, J.P. was the first Chairman of the City Court Bench. The Prime Minister Alfred Deakin
presented Blashki with an illuminated address signed by 30 of the court's solicitors when he retired, aged 70.
Police Magistrates were able to sit in on Petty Court sessions, but generally two or three Justices of the Peace were required for cases to be heard. The Court of Petty Sessions,... Read More