is a suburb of Christchurch
, New Zealand
, north of the city centre
. Its boundaries are defined by Statistics New Zealand
as being Heaton Street to the north, Papanui Road to the east, Harper Avenue to the south and Rossall Sreet to the west, although Real Estate advertising often will claim residences outside this area, especially St Albans
to the east of Papanui Road, as being Merivale due to the perceived desirability of the area.Merivale has been voted the best suburb in Christchurch in which to live.
Charlotte Jackson of Rugby
arrived in 1851 for her two rural sections which went from Merivale Lane to Aikmans Road and from Papanui Road to Boundary Road. She named the block Merevale. Her brother-in-law, the Rev. Thomas Jackson, was the vicar of Merevale
, near Atherstone
. Charlotte Jackson later sold the sections. In December 1859 she sold the northern to Capt. T. H. Withers of Deptford
, and in 1862 the southern to William Sefton Moorhouse
. Moorhouse build a magnificent home on Merevale farm of which half still stands today on Naseby Street.
A hotel has stood at the intersection of Papanui Road and Bealey Avenue since 1865. Carlton Hotel
was built in its place in 1906 in time for the New Zealand International Exhibition
Merivale has retained much of... Read More