Runway 11/29: 4,485 x 100 ft (1,367 x 30 m), Surface: Asphalt
Opened in April 1940 as Palo Alto Airport or King City Airport. Originally had 4,570' NW/SE hard surfaced runway. It was used for most of World War II by the United States Army Air Forces as a primary (level 1) contract pilot training airfield. It also had four local auxiliary airfields for emergency and overflow landings. Pilot training contractor was Palo Alto Airport, Inc. Flying training was performed with Fairchild PT-19s as the primary trainer. It also had several PT-17 Stearmans as well.
Military control of the airport was transferred to the United States Navy in April 1945. It was known as King City Naval Auxiliary Air Station (NAAS). The Navy declared airport surplus on 30 September 1945. Eventually it was discharged to the War Assets Administration (WAA) and became a civil airport.