(born June 28, 1971 in Kassel
) is a retired U.S.
soccer player who spent his career playing in Germany.
Mason was born in Germany, but holds a U.S. passport. He began playing at lower division clubs KSV Baunatal
and KSV Hessen Kassel
before being picked up by Hamburg
in 1994. He played with the reserve team until 1996, when he made the first of a handful of first team appearances.
In 1997, his career hit its high point. He was playing Bundesliga
ball at Hamburg which led to U.S. national team Steve Sampson
calling him up. That year, he earned 5 caps
before his deficiencies became apparent. At that point, his career slowly slid downward. He spent two years at FC St. Pauli, then played briefly with FC Gütersloh
, getting picked up by FC Carl Zeiss Jena
during the 1999-2000 season.
He last played at a German Regionalliga
side, KSV Hessen Kassel
, a team he played with as a youth. At his previous team, SV Elversberg
, he played for former U.S. national player Brent Goulet
who was a long time player and now coach for the team.
National Team appearances
- March 16, 1997 United States 3-0 Canada (1998 FIFA World Cup Qualifier)
- April 4, 1997 United States 2-2 Mexico (1998 FIFA World Cup Qualifier)
- June 4, 1997 United States 0-0 Paraguay
- started, subbed out 64th minute
- June 17, 1997 United States 2-1 Israel
- June 29, 1997 El Salvador 1-1 United States (1998 FIFA World Cup......