() is a monastery of the Benedictine Order
, belonging to the Subiaco Congregation
. The monastery is situated on the Michaelsberg
("St. Michael's Mount"), about 40 metres above the town of Siegburg
. For this reason it is occasionally also referred to as Siegburg Abbey
The hill called the Michaelsberg, formerly known as the Siegberg
, was first inhabited about 800 by the Counts of Auelgau
who built a castle there. In 1064 Archbishop Anno II of Cologne
founded a Benedictine monastery there, dedicated to the Archangel Michael
, from whom both the mountain and the abbey thenceforward took their names.
The monastery quickly became a reformed abbey in the Cluniac Reforms
. After the death of Archbishop Anno in 1075 he was buried in the abbey. After he was canonised, in 1183 his bones were translated to the "Anno shrine", which can still be seen in the abbey church.
In 1512, after a long legal battle, the abbey was recognised as reichsunmittelbar
(that is, directly subject to the Emperor
and to no other territorial authority). This led to bitter rivalry, and on occasion even war, with the town of Siegburg. In 1676 the abbey again became subject to the local territorial power.
The abbey was dissolved during the secularisation
of 1802–03. Until their resettlement by the Cistercians on 2 July 1914, the buildings were used for varied purposes, for some time as a barracks, but also at other times as a lunatic asylum and a slaughterhouse.
In... Read More