The Mid Wales Hospital
was a psychiatric hospital
. It opened in 1906 and was formerly known as the Brecon and Radnor Joint Asylum or Mid Wales Counties Mental Hospital. It is in echelon style (narrow arrow)and at its peak could serve 1,000 patients. However, nearer the end of its life, in 1995, this had dwindled to 168. The site was also home to the Mid and West Wales College of Nursing and Midwifery and the Powys Drugs & Alcohol Council for substance misuse.
As part of its services the hospital provided treatments for the elderly mentally ill; rehabilitation and continuing care; occupational therapy; day care facility; psychology; reflexology; physiotherapy; electro-convulsive therapy
; chiropody and psychiatry.
With new health legislations coming into force in the 1980s/90s and 'Care in the Community
' the entire hospital was wound down during the 1990s and closed for good in 1999. Some facilities moved into nearby Bronllys Hospital
(formally South Wales Sanitorium). This is still open and run by the NHS
Powys Local Health Board , whose Headquarters are also based here. Although there have been recent rumours of this hospital too closing.
Sale of the site
The vast estate is now privately owned after being sold for approx. £350,000 a number of years ago. The buildings have become run down and some derelict. There are signs of demolition throughout the site and in 2009... Read More