Although the first railway was built in the area as long ago as 1830 as an extension of the Stockton and Darlington Railway and extended eastwards to Redcar in 1846, the current station dates from 1877 – it was designed by the North Eastern Railway's chief architect William Peachey with an ornate Gothic style frontage. Behind this an overall roof of elliptical design once existed. Constructed out of wrought iron of lattice design, with glass covering the middle half and timber (inside)/slate (outside) covering the outer quarters. The two end screens were glazed with timber cladding around the outer edges. The roof was high in relation to its width.