The Middlesex and Boston Street Railway
(M&B) was a streetcar
and later bus
company in the area west of Boston, Massachusetts
. Streetcars last ran in 1930, and in 1972 the company's operations were merged into the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority
The company was first chartered as the Natick Electric Street Railway
on August 10, 1891. The name was changed to the South Middlesex Street Railway
in 1893. That company went bankrupt
and a receiver was appointed May 6, 1903; the property was sold on August 15, 1907 to the newly-formed Middlesex and Boston Street Railway. By 1910, Boston Suburban Electric Companies
, a holding company
, had bought the M&B.
In September 1964 the MBTA began subsidizing the M&B, and route numbers were given to its buses. (According to "A Chronicle of the Boston Transit System" (April 16, 1981) the subsidy agreement was signed on December 23, 1964.) The M&B was taken over by the MBTA on July 5, 1972, after a financial dispute over subsidies stopped service on June 30. The routes taken over were renumbered by adding a 5 to the beginning and were renumbered in September 1982 and some in 1996.
There is one streetcar and one bus preserved from this railway, trolley # 41, a former Lexington car, and bus # 192, a 1948 ACF Brill bus. They are both located at the Seashore Trolley Museum
in Kennebunkport, Maine
Former streetcar lines
Auburndale-Lake Street via Commonwealth Avenue
The Commonwealth Avenue......