Middlesex County Council
was the principal local government
body in the administrative county
from 1889 to 1965.
The county council was created by the Local Government Act 1888
, which also removed the most populous part of the county to constitute the County of London
. By the 1930s most of the county had become urbanised, effectively forming part of the London
conurbation, and in 1965 the county council was abolished on the creation of the Greater London Council
Elections and political control
The county council consisted of elected councillors and co-opted county aldermen
. The entire body of county councillors was elected every three years. Aldermen were additional members, there being a ratio of one alderman to three councillors. Aldermen had a six-year term of office, and one half of their number were elected by the councillors immediately after the triennial elections.
The first elections were held in January 1889. The first meeting of the "provisional" county council was held on 14 February 1889 at Westminster Town Hall. Although the council did not use political labels, among the aldermen elected were members of the parliamentary Conservative Party
From 1919 the non-political composition of the council was challenged by the election of members of the Labour Party
. In 1928 the majority of the council were... Read More