The Middleton Railway
is the world's oldest continuously working railway. It was founded in 1758 and is now a heritage railway
run by volunteers from The Middleton Railway Trust Ltd. since 1960.
The railway operates passenger services at weekends and on public holidays over approximately of track between its headquarters at Moor Road
, West Yorkshire
and Park Halt
on the outskirts of Middleton Park
Coal has been worked in Middleton
since the 13th century, from bell pits, gin pits and later "day level" or adits. Anne Leigh, heiress to the Middleton Estates married Ralph Brandling from Felling
on the River Tyne. They lived in Gosforth and left running of the Middleton pits to agents. Charles Brandling
was their successor. In 1754 Richard Humble, from Tyneside, was his agent. Brandling was in competition with the Fentons in Rothwell who were able to transport coal into Leeds by river putting the Middleton pits at considerable disadvantage. Humble's solution was to build waggonways which were common in his native north east. The first waggonway in 1755 crossed Brandling land and that of friendly neighbours to riverside staithes.
In 1757 he began to build a waggonway towards Leeds and to ensure its permanence Brandling sought ratification in an Act of Parliament
, (31 Geo.2, c.xxii, 9 June 1758) the first authorising the building of... Read More