A total of 197 engines were built. 192 of them were sequentially numbered 3835-4026 for the Midland Railway. After nationalisation in 1948 British Railways added 40000 to their numbers so they became 43835-44026. Five engines were constructed by Armstrong Whitworth for the Somerset and Dorset Joint Railway in 1922, numbered 57–61. They were absorbed into LMS stock in 1930, becoming 4557–4561.
The 192 engines in this class were withdrawn between 1954 and 1965 as follows: