Tower) is a town
in the Northern District
. It was founded in 1910, and granted local council status in 1949. In 2008 it had a population of 1,627.
Migdal is located near Ginosar
, and about 8 km north of Tiberias
. It has a shoreline on the Sea of Galilee
, including the Tamar, Ilanot and Arbel beaches.
The town is named after the old city of Migdala Nunia (Aramaic
: "fish tower"), home town of Mary of Magdala (Luke 8:2), and is situated just west of the Kinneret
on Tiberias-Rosh Pina road.
In 1908, a small group of German Catholics who identified the site as the birth place of Mary Magdalene
settled there. An encampment of Gdud HaAvoda
workers who built the Tiberias-Rosh Pina
road was established there in 1921.Encyclopedia of Zionism and Israel
Herzl Press and McGraw-Hill,New York 1971, Volume II, p. 784
In September 2009, a salvage dig of the Israel Antiquities Authority
prior to the construction of a hotel revealed an ancient synagogue
believed to date back some 2000 years, from 50 BCE to 100 CE. In the middle of a 120 sq.m. main... Read More