is a dock
, south of Canary Wharf
on the Isle of Dogs
, in London
The Millwall Dock was constructed by John Aird & Co.
to a design by Sir John Fowler
and opened in 1868.
is L-shaped, with an 'Outer Dock' running east-west, and an 'Inner Dock' running north from the eastern end. It originally contained around 36 acres (14 hectares) of water and had a 200 acre (81 hectare) estate. The western end of the Outer Dock was originally connected to the Thames at Millwall
by an wide channel. The spoil from the docks formed the area of wasteland known as the Mudchute
. A graving dock for ship repairs was constructed at the SE corner of the Outer Dock (one of 6 originally planned), and later lengthened to .
With reorganisation by the Port of London Authority
in the 1920s, the northern end of the Inner Dock was connected to the West India Docks
by the Millwall Passage, and the direct connection to the Thames was filled.
The dock was used mainly for timber
and grain, a trade which eventually moved down river to the Port of Tilbury
with the construction of a major grain terminal in the 1960s. A McDougall's
flour mill on the south side of the Outer Dock was demolished in about 1980.
The area today
Millwall Dock lies near the centre of the Isle of Dogs
, just south of the now developed Canary Wharf
commercial business area.
A large site on the north side of Outer Dock is occupied by the West Ferry Printing Works, the largest... Read More