It was opened on 12 December 1871, the same time as the L&BR's southern branch down to Millwall Docks opened, with three platforms - two on the line to Blackwall and a single one serving the branch line to North Greenwich. The station was rebuilt in 1888, and remained open until 3 May 1926 when all passenger services on the L&BR east of Stepney were withdrawn, and Millwall Junction was closed. Goods services ran through until the 1960s. The station buildings were demolished in 1965 and the platforms removed in 1985 for the construction of the Docklands Light Railway (DLR). The DLR's junction east of Poplar now occupies the station site.