The Milwaukee Press Club,
, is the oldest continuously operating press club in North America. The club comprises journalists
and others in the media in the Milwaukee area, as well as journalism educators, public relations and marketing professionals, students, and members of the general public. Its mission is to foster journalism excellence and camaraderie. It has approximately 300 members.
After efforts to establish a press club in Milwaukee failed in 1860, 1882, and 1883, four journalists formally established the on Nov. 1, 1885. The club was to be a means of bringing together newspaper professionals, as well elevate the profession in general. Since its founding, the club has expanded its membership to include journalists working in other media, editors, publishers and individuals with a specific professional interest in the press.
Prior to 1971, the only female member of the club was Edna Dunlop who joined near the turn of the 20th century. Later, a “men only” policy was adopted. It was finally overturned in August 1971, after female journalists and the general public created an outcry against the antiquated practice, and picketed the club’s meeting place. Mary Spletter was the first woman to cross the club’s threshold, and in addition to having lunch at the club, she was asked to sign a plaque in honor of the occasion, adding to the club’s historic collection.
While the Milwaukee Press Club prides itself on its steadfast... Read More