The Milwaukee Road Bunkhouse was built by the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul and Pacific Railroad (also known as the Milwaukee Road) in 1909 to house train crews between shifts. The bunkhouse served the crews at the rail yard and division point at South Cle Elum, Washington. The bunkhouse is an L-shaped, two storey, wood frame vernacular building originally placed near the depot, but moved to its present location south of the rail yard around 1920 to accommodate the electric substation when the Milwaukee Road electrified. The bunkhouse continued to serve train crews until 1974. When the railroad ceased operations in Washington in 1980, it sold the property to private individuals who converted the bunkhouse into a bed and breakfast.
The bunkhouse was listed in the National Register because of its association with The Milwaukee Road and the development of railroads in Washington.
current owners and operators of the bunkhouse
Garfield, Leonard. Milwaukee Road Bunkhouse (Kittitas County, Washington) National Register of Historic Places Registration Form. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior, National Park Service, 1989. On file at the National Register of Historic Places, Washington, DC and at the State of Washington Office of Archaeology and Historic Preservation, Olympia, Washington.