The Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul and Pacific Railroad
) classes EP-1
comprised 42 boxcab electric locomotives
built by the American Locomotive Company
(ALCO) in 1915
. Electrical components were from General Electric
. The locomotives were composed of two half-units semi-permanently coupled back-to-back, and numbered as one unit with 'A' and 'B' suffixes. As built, 30 locomotives were assigned to freight service, classified as EF-1 and numbered 10200–10229. The remaining twelve locomotives were assigned to passenger service as class EP-1, numbered 10100–10111, with higher-speed passenger gearing. The design was highly successful, replacing a much larger number of steam locomotives, cutting costs and improving schedules.
In 1919, with the arrival of a newer generation of passenger power, the EP-1 locomotives were converted to EF-1 freight locomotives, and renumbered 10230–10241. In this role, they served until the 1950s, when the arrival of the Little Joe
locomotives began to replace them in freight service.
They were fitted with multiple-unit train control
systems, and could thus be joined together into larger sets and operated from a single control station. They were also retrofitted with a special multiple unit control system designed by an electrical engineer of The Milwaukee Road. This enabled the crew of a Boxcab to control trailing diesel electric locomotives. However, the EF-4 "Little Joes", which... Read More