is the oldest newspaper in Mindanao
, southern part of the Philippines
. It was founded in 1946
with editorial & business office located at C. Bangoy cor. Palma Gil Sts., Davao City
Before the war, The publication was owned and published by the Japanese as Davao Times. After the liberation of Davao, the publication was assumed by the Philippine Civil Affair Unit (PICAU) No. 29, of the 24th Division of the U.S. Army.
On January 2, 1946, a group of Filipinos headed by the late Atty. Guillermo E.Torres and Pedro M. Lat bought the weekly and renamed it Mindanao Times. In 1950 the Mindanao Times became a daily. In addition to the local news and features, the eight-column spread paper carried world news dispatched by the United Press international, feature articles, and comic strips from the King Features Syndicate, and national news gathered by the Philippine News Service.
However, the daily lasted for only about a year. A worldwide shortage of newsprint and other materials due to the Korean War and losses suffered by some news bureaus forced the Times to revert to a weekly. Shortly thereafter, Atty. Torres bought the newspaper from Mindanao Times Inc. and continued the publication of the newspaper under a new corporation known as Mindanao Publishers Inc. It went on as a thrice a week newspaper for years until it began its daily run on September 2, 1997. New sections were added for a wider scope of information. The sections include sports,... Read More