is a neighborhood of San Diego
, USA. It is located on hills just south of the San Diego River
valley and north of downtown San Diego, overlooking Old Town
and San Diego Bay
. It was subdivided on January 20, 1908 as a smaller portion of what is now referred to as Mission Hills. The City of San Diego describes Mission Hills as being the area north of Horton Avenue, South of Mission Valley, West of Goldfinch Street and Reynard Way, and East of the Old Town community area. Mission Hills is part of the 92103 zip code area. It is part of the Uptown community planning area.
The area is primarily residential, with some small shops and restaurants.
The area was developed in the early 20th century and most of the houses are still from that era, often carefully preserved and restored. Homes there were also often designed by San Diego’s premier architects including William Hebbard
, William Templeton Johnson, Emmor Brooke Weaver, Nathan Rigdon, Richard Requa, and Joel E. Brown. Master Builders such as the Pacific Building Company, Morris B. Irvin, and Martin V. Melhorn contributed by building in the vernacular architecture
In the 1910s, Mission Hills became one of the many San Diego neighborhoods connected by the Class 1 streetcars
and an extensive San Diego public transit system that was spurred by the Panama-California Exposition
of 1915 and built by John D. Spreckels
. These streetcars became a fixture of this neighborhood... Read More