() is a district
located in past Mutsu Province
and today's Miyagi
. The name of the prefecture was from this district.
The original territory was east-west long from Ōu Mountains
to Pacific Ocean
, including current Sendai
cities. As of 2003, the district has an estimated population
of 69,567 and a density
of 620.80 persons per km². The total area is 112.06 km².
The Minami-Koizumi site had been a village or town site since the fifth century A.D. Miyagi District first appeared in in historical documents occurred in 766, in the Shoku Nihongi
. Archaeologists presume that Miyagi District was established by eighth century, based on the presence of square field system remains between Hirose River
and Nanakita River
. The province capital of Mutsu
was moved to Taga
) from the Koriyam site of Natori District
in 724. Its residential area extended beyond the wall of Taga. In 785, Taga District and Shinakami District were separated from Miyagi, but later annexed.
Taga continued to be the capital in the Kamakura Period
, but the city center moved to west Iwakiri. In 1190 Isawa Iekage
was appointed as the Governor Acting in Absence of Mutsu Province, charged with restoring order after the Revolt of Ōkawa Kanetō
. His descendants established a fiefdom around Taga and changed their name to Rusu
, which means, literally, acting in absence
In the Nanboku-chō period
of 14th century, Taga was the object of military... Read More