is a village and civil parish
in north Somerset
, south of Bath
. The parish, which includes the hamlet
of Tucking Mill
, has a population of 356.
According to Rev. John Collinson in his History of Somerset
(1791), the town's proper name is Combe Monkton, or really just Combe with the Monkton being attached as an adjective to differentiate it from neighbouring Combe Down
and Combe Grove. The village was originally owned by the monks of Bath Abbey
, hence Monkton Combe.
It was on the route of the (now disused) Somerset Coal Canal
, which ran parallel to Midford Brook
A significant proportion of the village center is taken up by Monkton Combe School
. This is an independent Christian school with 350 pupils - most of whom board.
Monkton Combe railway station featured in the 1953 film The Titfield Thunderbolt
, one of the Ealing comedies
. The film's plot centred on efforts by villagers to preserve their local railway line. It was on the short-lived branch line of the Bristol and North Somerset Railway
which went from Limpley Stoke
and had closed to passenger traffic in 1925, though the line was used for freight traffic from the Somerset coalfield
The parish council
has responsibility for local issues, including setting an annual precept (local rate) to cover the council’s operating costs and producing annual accounts for public scrutiny. The parish council evaluates local planning... Read More