is a village in Borsod-Abaúj-Zemplén
and is part of the Tokaj wine region
The nearest town is Szerencs
away. Neighbouring villages are Golop
away and Tállya
The Zemplén Mountains
have two sides: on the north Vilvitány
Hill, on the south Szerencs Hill. The village lies in the valley between the two.
Although the north is mountainous the south is lower lying at around . On the north and south slopes there are fields and vineyards whose wines compete with those from Tokaj
, and the fields bordering the vineyards offer a beautiful view of the Tatra Mountains
It is not certain when the village was established, but it was some time during the Mongol invasion of Europe
, or the earlier Hungarian invasion ().
The first record of the village is in 1392 and the Monaky
family owned it in the 13th century . The name of the village comes from Slavic monoh
". During the Ottoman Empire
the village was razed and in 1567 it was recorded as being just barren fields. Towards the end of this century the village was reinhabited and around 1570 a small castle was built in the Renaissance style
. Later, the village was owned by the Andrássy
family who renovated the castle, but because it was too small they built another nearby in the Classical style
93% of the population is Hungarian
, with the remaining 7% being of Romany
- Monok holds a summer fair......