is a town and comune
in the province of La Spezia
, part of the region of Liguria
). It is one of the five villages in Cinque Terre
. The town is divided into two distinct parts: the old town and the new town. The two areas are divided by a single tunnel that caters to pedestrians and the very few cars in the town.
The beach at Monterosso runs along most of the coast line and is well used by tourists and locals. The beach is the only extensive sand beach in the Cinque Terre. Monterosso is a small town that in the summer months is overrun by tourists.
The village was briefly excluded from the Cinque Terre trail in 1948, but was re-introduced in mid-1949. This is because Italian officials considered the village was too large to be considered part of the historic trail.
The area is famous for its many lemon trees that can be seen throughout Monterosso. It is also renowned for its white wines, grapes, and olives.
In 1870, the Italian government built a railroad line into the city, which opened it up to the outside world. It is the main way in which people enter the city.
During World War II
, many young men from the Cinque Terre fought for the resistance against the fascist regime of Benito Mussolini
, and the subsequent Nazi German
occupation of Italy.
- The Castle, partially ruined, built by the Genoese.
- The parish church of St. John the Baptist (1282-1307). Its façade features four small marble columns and a main......