Mormon apostle Elder Richard G. Scott, who was one of the first Mormon missionaries in Uruguay, presided at the groundbreaking ceremony for the new Mormon temple in Montevideo. The first branch, a small congregation, of the LDS Church was organized in 1944 and since then the Church has experienced phenomenal growth. By 2001 Uruguay had 73,000 members and a Mormon temple.
During the open house nearly 25,000 people visited the Montevideo Uruguay Temple. Among the visitors was Jorge Batlle, then President of Uruguay. LDS Church President Gordon B. Hinckley dedicated the Montevideo Uruguay Temple on 18 March 2001 with more than 6,500 people in attendance.
The temple has a single spire topped by a statue of the angel Moroni and the exterior is asa branca granite. The Montevideo Uruguay Temple has a total of , two ordinance rooms, and two sealing rooms.
The Montevideo Uruguay Temple was the first temple of the LDS Church to be dedicated in the 21st century.