Mother of God Parish
() is a parish
church of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Covington
, United States
, located at 119 West 6th Street in Covington. The official title of the parish is The Assumption of Mary, Mother of God, Parish
. The church is located in the Mutter Gottes Historic District.
This historic church features twin renaissance
towers and murals by famous Vatican artist Johann Schmitt
, an early teacher of Frank Duveneck
, who was baptised in the parish in 1848. In the spring of 1842, the German
congregation purchased a lot at the southwest corner of 6th and Washington streets. On this lot, a new church was constructed. Bishop Flaget
of the Diocese of Louisville
laid the cornerstone on April 14, 1842. The church was dedicated by the same bishop on October 10, 1842. The new church was brick and measured 100 x 50 feet. Transepts were added to the structure in 1851.
On March 10, 1986, a tornado swept through Covington damaging the cupola of Mother of God Church. The congregation quickly rallied to rebuild the structure. However, while the structure was being repaired, welders accidentally set the building on fire. Ultimately, the building was restored to its 1890 appearance at a cost of over a million dollars. The parish school merged with St John School, St Ann School, and Sts Boniface And James School in 1984 to form Prince Of Peace Academy housed at St John.