Mount Carmel College
is a Catholic secondary school
located in Rosewater
, South Australia
. It was established in 1927 by the Marist Brothers
where it was an all boys school until December 1966. In February 1967 the Sisters of St Joseph
transferred the all girls school from the Pennington
Terrace School to the present site of Mount Carmel College and in 1983 the school became a co-educational institution.
Although officially founded in 1927, the history of Mount Carmel College extends back to 1867 when the Sisters of St Joseph opened a primary school in Dale Street, Port Adelaide
. This was a co-educational school and from the 1880s secondary school classes were conducted, along with primary school classes. Among the subjects taught were Latin, French and music .
In 1897 the Marist Brothers opened a school in Port Adelaide with both primary and secondary classes. This was the first Marist Brothers' school in South Australia and the school remained in Port Adelaide until 1927 when the building at 33 Newcastle Street, Rosewater was completed..
The land in Rosewater on which the school is built was originally owned by the Church of England
and was set aside for St Peters' College. However, the property was exchanged for land at Bowden
in a deal between the Catholic
and Anglican Archbishops
of Adelaide at the time.
The foundation stone of Mount Carmel Boy's School was laid on 28 June 1926 ... Read More