is a historic community located within the southeastern range of Mansfield Township
and the northeastern range of Springfield Township, Burlington County, New Jersey
Mount Pleasant encompasses the intersection of Mount Pleasant Road
and Gaunt's Bridge Road, , which is located about three miles (5 km) east of Columbus
. Mount Pleasant, named for a small but conspicuous hill with a pointed top, was settled by Quakers during the latter part of the 17th century. Mount Pleasant hill is located in a cleared farm field in the southwest quadrant of the intersection. Other landmarks are Assiscunk Creek
, which delineates Mansfield Township's southern border, and Ye Great Meadow
, an expansive meadowland which encompasses Crafts Creek.
The Barzilla and Sarah Newbold house is listed on the National Register of Historic Places listings in Burlington County, New Jersey
In 1688, Mansfield Township was established:<blockquote>"The Constabulary of Mansfield to lye on ye south side of William Black's Creek, down Delaware River to the town bounds of Burlington, and soe up Birch Creek to John Pancoast's, to Michael Newbold's, and soe ye north of ye Great Meadow to Eliakim Higgins' plantation."
In 1699, Caleb Shreve purchased Mount Pleasant hill, and of land encompassing it, from Richard and Sarah French.Nelson, p. 513: "1699 April 22.... Read More