The Mount Savage Railroad
was a railroad operated by the Mount Savage Coal and Iron Company of Mount Savage, Maryland between 1845 and 1854. The 14.9 miles (24 km) rail line ran from Frostburg to Cumberland, Maryland.
The Mt. Savage Railroad was opened for use on Monday, September 24, 1845. The railroad was the first in America to use iron rail that was produced within the country, having to rely on British rail beforehand.
Linking Mt. Savage to the Regional Infastructure
Before the railroad linked Mt. Savage to Cumberland, Mt. Savage had no way of transporting manufactured goods to the rest of the region. When the railroad reached Cumberland, Mt. Savage now had a link to the National Road
, the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal
, and The Baltimore and Ohio Railroad. The interchange in the Narrows also linked Mt. Savage to the Potomac Wharf Branch
The Potomac Wharf Branch
The Potomac Wharf Branch was built by the Maryland Mining Company in around 1850 and is an extension to the Eckhart Branch Railroad. The Potomac Wharf Branch was located in Maryland and used to cross Wills Creek. The branch is no longer present.
The Mt. Savage Railroad linked Mt. Savage to the National Road, where they met in Cumberland. One of the first improved highways in the country is the National Road in Cumberland, Maryland. The construction on the road began in 1811, crossing over the Allegheny Mountains
and southwest Pennsylvania
. The National Road was finished in 1824... Read More