() is a village in County Westmeath
, about 5 km west of Moate
. The village is best noted for its golf course of the same name. It was historically called Grenan
History of Mount Temple
In ancient times, the locality of Mount Temple formed part of the kingdom of the Ard Rí of Uisneach at Killare. The area of South Westmeath and Longford was conquered by Niall of the Nine Hostages circa 400AD and formed the Kingdom of Teathbha (anglicized Teffia). An area roughly the present-day parish of Mount Temple was granted to his son, Maine and was known as the Calraighre an Chalaidh, hence the name Caulry. It was ruled by Maine’s descendents for the next 1200 years. They were the MacAmhalgaidhe
(Englished as Magawley
or sometimes McAuley
) and were referred as the Lords of Carlee in old manuscripts. The chieftain of their clan was inaugurated on a coronation site known as Tullymagawley, in the townland of Ballymurray.
The Hanevys, Geraghtys and Flynns are clans closely associated with the Magawleys, residing in the area. The principal neighbouring clans were the Melaghlins (Moate & Farnagh), Foxes (East Moate), Dillons (Kilkenny West), the O’Dalys and O’Malones (Castledaly) and the O’Braoins (East Athlone).
Tradition records that St Patrick visited the area in the 5th century, but was given a hostile reception in Caulry. He escaped to Annagh and onto Ballykeeran, where he reputed to... Read More