The Munich Waldfriedhof
is one of 29 cemeteries of Munich
. It is one of the larger and more famous burial sites of the city due to its park like design and tombs of notable personalities. The Waldfriedhof is widely considered the first woodland cemetery
The Munich Waldfriedhof is located in the southwest and borders several city districts
today. It is separated in two sections, the old part and the new part (Alter Teil und Neuer Teil). It holds almost 60,000 graves
. The Waldfriedhof is open every day from 8am and closes between 5pm and 8pm depending on the season. During the warmer months of the year the city arranges guided tours. The cemetery is connected to the public transport system MVV
by several bus lines. Access to the graves by car is very limited. The cemetery borders the beginning Autobahn
A95 in the south as well as other large roads in the north and east.
The Münchner Waldfriedhof
as it is called in German was planned by the architect Hans Grässel
and opened in 1907. In the years 1963-1966 the cemetery was enlarged by the architect Prof. Ludwig Römer.
The cemetery is one of a series of cemeteries in Munich planned by Grässel at about the same timepoint. The leaders of the city had not been fond of the idea of one huge main cemetery when the old burial sites became to small. Thus Grässel was instructed to plan four new cemeteries, one in each cardinal direction
.The Waldfriedhof was created at a time when most... Read More