The Municipal Corporation Building, Mumbai
located in South Mumbai
, India is a Grade IIA heritage building (‘V’ shaped as viewed from top) opposite to the Chatrapati Shivaji Terminus
World heritage site) at the junction of Dadabhai Naoroji Road
and Mahapalika Marg. It is also known as the Bombay Municipal Corporation Building, or BMC building for short.
As the name suggests, the building houses the civic body that governs the city of Mumbai, which is now named the Brihanmumbai Mahanagar Palika () or the Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai
and which has as its motto, "यतो धर्मस्ततो जय" (Sanskrit
: Yato Dharmastato Jaya or, Where there is Righteousness, there shall be Victory
), inscribed on the banner of its Coat of Arms. Sir Pherozeshah Mehta
and Sir Dinshaw Wacha
prominent citizens were members of the Municipal Corporation.
was created in 1865 and Arthur Crawford
was its first Municipal Commissioner
. The Municipality was initially housed in a modest building at the terminus of Girgaum Road. In 1870, it was shifted to a building on the Esplanade
, located between Watson Hotel and the Sassoon Mechanics Institute... Read More