The Museum was created in 1772 by Charles III of Spain as the Gabinete Real de Historia Natural, changing names several times until its current denomination. The museum originally hosted a collection donated by a spanish merchant, Pedro F. Dávila. In 1867, some facilities were separated to give birth to other museums (Archeology, Botanic Garden, Zoologic Garden). In 1987 the museum was restructured and grown with funds from two smaller museums.
Some of the more relevant components of the Museum collections are:
<center><gallery>Image:Elefante disecado MCNM.jpg|African ElephantImage:Museo Nacional de Ciencias Naturales (Madrid)-Sala de Historia Natural.jpg|<small>Section of Natural History<br>Diplodocus and other fossilsImage:Iberomesornis-model.jpg|<small>Section of Natural History<br>Iberomesornis... Read More