- This article is about the city. For the district, see Narayanganj District.
: নারায়ণগঞ্জ Naraeongônj
) is a city in central Bangladesh
. It is located in the Narayanganj District
, near the capital city of Dhaka
and has a population of 220,000. The city is on the bank of the Shitalakshya River
. The river port of Narayanganj is one of the oldest in Bangladesh. It is also a center of business and industry, especially the jute
trade and processing plants, and the textile
sector of the country. It is nicknamed the Dundee
of Bangladesh due to the presence of lots of jute mills. Dundee
was the first industrialised Juteopolis in the world.
The town got its name from Bicon Lal Pandey, a Hindu
religious leader who was also known as Benur Thakur or Lakhsmi Narayan Thakur
. He leased the area from the British East India Company
in 1766 following the Battle of Plassey
. He donated the markets and the land on the banks of the river as Devottor
or Given to God
property, bequethed for maintenance expenses for the worship of the god Narayan
.A post office was set up in 1866, and Dhaka-Narayanganj telegraph
service was started from 1877. The Bank of Bengal introduced the first telephone
service in 1882.
The Narayanganj Municipality was incorporated on September 8
. The first hospital of the area, the Narayanganj Victoria Hospital was established in 1885... Read More