is the main thoroughfare in Kowloon
, Hong Kong
that goes in a south-north direction from Tsim Sha Tsui
to Mong Kok
. It is lined with shops, restaurants and tourists, and was known in the post-World War II
years as the Golden Mile
, a name that is now rarely used. It starts on the southern part of Kowloon at its junction with Salisbury Road
, a few metres north of Victoria Harbour
, and ends at its intersection with Boundary Street
in the north. Portions of the Kwun Tong
and Tsuen Wan Lines
run underneath Nathan Road.
The first section of the road was completed in 1861. It was the very first road built in Kowloon, after the land was ceded
by the then Qing Dynasty
government to the United Kingdom
and made part of the crown colony in 1860. The road was originally named Robinson Road
, after Sir Hercules Robinson
, the 5th Governor of Hong Kong
. To avoid confusion with the Robinson Road
on Hong Kong Island
, the name was changed to Nathan Road
in 1909, after Sir Matthew Nathan
, the 13th Governor who served between 1904 and 1907.
The early Nathan Road was largely residential, with colonial-style houses with arched verandahs and covered archways. It was home to the Whitfield Barracks
, which later became Kowloon Park
. Saint Andrew's Church
, the oldest Anglican church
in Kowloon, has been located there since its completion in 1906.
The section of the road from Gascoigne Road
to Argyle Street
was originally named Coronation Road
(加冕道), in honour of the......