The National University of Singapore, Faculty of Law (NUS Law) is the older of Singapore's two law schools. The Faculty was initially established as the Department of Law in the then University of Malaya in 1956, with the first batch of students matriculating in the following year. Subsequently, it served as Singapore's only law school for half a century until a second law school was set up in 2007. The Faculty is currently headed by Professor Tan Cheng Han, SC.
Dr. Lionel Astor Sheridan, then a law teacher in the United Kingdom, was appointed the first Head of the Law Department of the University of Malaya in July 1956.
In the formative years of the law school, alumni were frequently called upon to provide leadership and expertise to the law school as it slowly expanded. Grants were also secured to increase the number of books in the law library, and students were sent to international mooting competitions as part of the legal education. By the early 1990s, student exchange programmes with leading schools were... Read More