is a district of Rajshahi Division
located in northern Bangladesh
. It borders the metropolitan city of Rajshahi
, and used to be part of Rajshahi district.
Natore was the District Head Quarter of Rajshahi since 1769-1825. Administration Natore subdivision was established in 1825 under Rajshahi district, at the eve of the replacement of the HQ and it was turned into a district in 1984. It consists of 6 upazilas, 4 municipalities, 36 wards, 93 mahallas, 52 unions, 1272 mouzas and 1377 villages. The upazilas are natore sadar, bagatipara, baraigram, gurudaspur, lalpur and singra.
Archaeological heritage and relics Natore Rajbari and Dighapatia Rajbari (Uttara Ganabhaban), Dayarampur Rajbari (Bagatipara) and Budpara Kali Mandir (Lalpur).
Historical events Indigo resistance movements were held in this district during 1859 to 1860. During the Bangladesh Liberation War in 1971 a direct battle was fought between the Pakistan army and the rebels on 29 March in which about 40 members of the Pakistan army including Major Aslam and Captain Ishaq were killed. On 5 May,1971,Pakistan Army killed 42 employees of North Bengal Sugar Mills(Lalpur) including the then General Manager of the mill Lieutenant Anwarul Azim,they were killed near a pond in the mill campus.The pond is known as “Shaheed Sagar” and there is a memorial in the pond side. Marks of the War of Liberation Mass grave 5, memorial 1.
Origin of Name
Once upon a time Cholon Bill was being spread over Natore. At... Read More