The Nauvoo Illinois Temple
is the 113th dedicated temple
of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
. It is the third such temple that has been built in Illinois
(the original Nauvoo Temple
and Chicago Illinois Temple
being the others).
Located in the town of Nauvoo
, the temple's construction was announced on April 4, 1999, by LDS President Gordon B. Hinckley
. Groundbreaking was conducted on October 24, 1999 and the cornerstones were laid November 5, 2000. The structure itself was built in the Greek Revival
architectural style using limestone block quarried in Russellville, Alabama
. It is built in the same location as the original structure
that was dedicated in 1846.
The building measures long, wide, and tall to the top of the statue of Angel Moroni. It has an area of . It is the only temple owned by the LDS Church today that has a bell tower, although Kirtland Temple
also has a bell tower.
Church leaders and architects carefully worked to replicate the original exterior design of the 19th-century temple
, which was damaged by an arson fire in 1848 and by a tornado on May 27, 1850. It was consequently condemned and demolished by the Nauvoo City Council. Construction materials and furniture were derived from the original design as well. Its interior floor plan is noticeably different from that of the old Nauvoo Temple, as is also the style of the golden angel at the top of the spire. The completion and official dedication was celebrated on June 27, 2002, on the... Read More